Thursday, 7 October 2010
Mama lays down the law in Cardiff
This week a long time friend has been visiting us and on Monday, me, my friend and Aiden went on a short trip to Cardiff. I admit to being nervous about taking Aiden on a long train ride, but he did really well. Lately, we are working on our 'listening to Mommy' skills and I'm relieved and happy to say I think we're making progress. I have mentioned starting 'time-outs' in a recent post. I have been consistent in giving Aiden 'time-outs' for playing with the large world map on the wall behind the sofa. However, I have not restricted him very much in other respects (e.g., climbing onto the table, wandering away from me in the park, making messes in the house). I believe Aiden has reached the stage where I can begin to introduce consequences for undesirable behavior. He definitely understands what I want and don't want him to do and when I say 'no-no' in response to climbing on the table, for example, he gives me a cheeky smile and goes right on doing it.
All this being said, I began to demand some obedience from him while we were in Cardiff. I let him walk along side the buggy and told him if he wandered off he would have to ride and not walk. I let him explore within certain bounds and if he crossed that bound, he lost a privilege or received a 'time-out'. It is my biggest hope that one day I can go out and trust him to play within my bounds, instead of what has been the norm: me chasing him all over the place and not being able to sit down unless he is strapped into the buggy. Aiden is a wonderfully active and sweet boy and I don't want him to lose that excitement and energy, so I'm hoping what we're now doing will be a positive way to teach him how to follow my instructions.
While in Cardiff, we explored the castle and local park. We were fortunate and had very mild and mostly sunny weather (No rain! This was particularly fantastic since I forgot the rain cover for the pushchair.) We enjoyed the sites and when we were ready for dinner, we began searching for a place to eat. We happened upon the 'Ye Ole' Hard Rock Cafe Cardiff and declined buying an £18 t-shirt. We also decided to forgo eating there, hoping for a local independent establishment. We wandered along the commercial pedestrian street with nearly every chain imaginable and somehow ended up exactly right back in front of the HRC! Ah, now we HAVE to eat here, my friend says. I'm actually glad we did. It was not crowded in what is probably one of the smallest Hard Rock Cafes, the food was good and our waitress was very sweet to Aiden. The music videos, however, were horrible, including Eddie Murphy's 'Party All the Time' (Why oh why did he have a singing career?) and Pink's 'I'm Coming Up' (Blech!), but Aiden enjoyed it all! He began bopping up and down in his highchair to the beat. It was hysterical!
Before catching a train back to London and then Cambridge, we walked to Cardiff Bay, another large commercial center (Cardiff's all about the shopping, love). It was bright, sunny and a bit windy, but not too cold. We didn't stay long, but were glad to have seen the bay.
Over the last few week or so, Aiden has done several new things. He now signs 'Eat' and 'All Done' (in addition to 'Milk'), spins in a circle while dancing to music, says 'Hiya!', enjoys hiding from Mommy & Daddy and being found, gives the appropriate sound effect to 'What does a horsey say?' and 'What does a ducky say?' (although if you ask him ducky first, he'll just make ducky noises for everything else) and lately I think 'Fireman Sam' is in strong competition with 'Thomas & Friends' for favorite TV show. He also tries to say 'nee nah, nee nah' when the siren goes off while watching 'Fireman Sam'. I am just loving every moment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment