Tuesday, 1 February 2011

The Age of Sweet Innocence

And we're back!  The end of 2010 was busy enough for us with holiday preparations, mailing packages, etc.  But our busiest time has been over the last month with a 3 week trip to visit family in both Baltimore and Orlando.  This adds up to 4 flights (totaling 19 hours) with an incredibly active 18 month old toddler.  It was daunting at times, but also not as bad as I worried it could be.  Aiden entertained himself with opening and closing the window shades when he had to sit in my lap.  On the initial trans-Atlantic crossing, I would almost say Aiden and I walked to Baltimore since he hardly slept and we extensively explored the aisles up and down.  In general, Don and I were impressed with how well Aiden coped with travelling, jet lag, sleeping in different cots and meeting people.  In stark contrast with Christmas 2009 (when he was only 6 months), he was able to learn family members' faces and names.  He loves his Mum-Mum, Pop-Pop, Grandma and Grandpa very much and we think he especially enjoyed their affection and attention.


So much is changing so quickly these days in the life of Aiden.  I made a list of every single word/phrase Aiden was saying at the beginning of the year, which totaled around 60 words.  I have not counted, but I am positive he has learned and clearly spoken another new 20+ words during our trip.  This language explosion is incredibly exciting for me and Don.  Even small nuances in how Aiden speaks amuses us daily.  For example, Aiden never says, 'yes' or 'yeah' - he says, 'oh yeah!'.  This always makes me smile.  The advancement in communication with our little man is just the best thing ever (I may come to regret that statement as I hear many other parents say, 'Now they won't stop talking!').  But still!  It's great to finally have a conversation and find out what he's thinking and what he wants.  Aiden makes his preferences known, asks for help, says please and thank you, etc.


Along with his confidence in newly acquired language skills, Aiden is becoming quite confident in exerting his will.  He will complain and cry if opposed and deliberately do "no-no's" as any other toddler.  And this is all expected.  But I think we still have the sweetest boy, who loves giving kisses (oh I hope this lasts!), learning, cuddling (when he's tired, of course) and being tickled.  These are golden days and I pray many more to come!


PS. The above picture was taken at a park in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment