Tuesday, 7 February 2012

An ordinary life?

Sometimes life can seem so mundane.  You wake up when the kids do, make breakfast, change diapers, dress and get going.  It's the same routine everyday with (normally) minor variations.  This is not to say that I find it constrictive or boring at all.

The general framework of my life as a stay at home mom is predictable and follows a certain rhythm.  But what happens within those waking hours is quite the opposite.  I find it very exciting to wonder what new thing Aiden will say today.  Will Noah laugh at my funny faces today?  Will I manage to get a shower, make dinner and run all the errands in time to savor a few quiet moments at the end of the day?

Aside from the excitement of playing with the kids at home, are the (sometimes) shocking things that happen when we walk out our front door.  Specifically, I am talking about things that only happen when rogue 2 year olds are about...

A week after my latest post concerning Aiden's ER visit, I took Aiden to the doctor for his follow-up visit.  While in the waiting room, I watched Aiden play with the train table.  He suddenly decided he was done waiting and went for the door leading to the exam rooms.  I got up to stop him and explain we needed to wait our turn.  While my back was turned, one such 2 year old who was curious about Noah, approached his car seat.  I turned in time to see her bend over him and initially thought she had wanted to give him a kiss (like Aiden sometimes does).  A second later, a loud wail from poor Noah immediately told me it was not a kiss, but a bite.  This child had chomped down on my baby's leg just below the knee!  (I wish I had a picture of the mark she left that was still there a day later!)  How on earth could I have protected a helpless infant from this little monster?  I unzipped his sleeper and saw the tell-tale evidence of her curiosity.  As I cuddled Noah, I angrily informed the parent (who was only sitting 2 steps from Noah) of his daughter's offense.  He gently (not sternly) told her 'We don't bite.'  Though shocked at the lack of disciplinary response, I was unable to give him a piece of my mind because in the same moment, I heard Aiden's name called, prompting him to run ahead of me.  The doctor was shocked also when I explained what had just happened.  She gave Noah a full exam and though the bite had not broken the skin, she prescribed Bactroban, just to be safe.  The staff had their own revenge on my behalf and removed all the toys from the waiting room.  Well, at least it was something.


A week or so later, I met another mischievous 2 year old.  Unfortunately, Aiden met her too.  I enjoy taking Aiden to the local gymnasium for the open play session on the trampolines and balance beams.  Aiden LOVES going to the gym and running around.  Sometimes he gets into a tiff over something, but he's learning to share and take turns.


One day, while watching Aiden and two other children standing around a large exercise ball, I saw an aggressive little girl raise a metal gym ab wheel in her hand and, unprovoked, deck Aiden in the face.  I just have to say, What is up with all this random violence?!  I raced over to a crying Aiden and examined his (already) injured forehead.  A red mark and a raised bump now mirrored his healing stitches.  At least this time the delinquent was put in a time-out.  The responding guardian (who may have been a younger-looking grandmother or nanny) brought us some ice and apologized.  However, getting the girl to say sorry was another story.  The 'nanny' continued to sweetly tell her she could not play until she did so, but I watched her run around after her and continue to follow Aiden and me around until finally she cooperated.  I can't say that Aiden hasn't hit another child before, but if he does, it's an immediate time-out, loss of privilege and a stern reprimand.  I've got beef with these parents who don't respond appropriately to their children's violent behavior.  But, alas, you can't discipline other people's kids.  Two-year olds are unpredictable creatures sometimes.  So, I guess you've just got to roll with the punches and stay on your toes to keep up with this ordinary life.

4 comments:

  1. Well, it's our fault really when you think about it.

    Mummy fail: Noah should have been wearing his garlic necklace to fend off the vamps.

    Daddy fail: Aiden's mixed martial arts training has been confined to the octagon so he wasn't prepared for an unprovoked attack in a non-hostile environment. He will be prepared the next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... there is nothing worse than other peoples children. I cannot believe the lack of discipline too sometimes... you may have heard we have snow here and i saw a mother stand by and let her 5 year old jump into and smash our neighbours beautiful snowman... I was gobsmacked it's basically condoning vandalism... needless to say he jumped about 15 feet in the air when i open my door and shaouted at him to "get off the snowman".

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a story time a while back some kid reared back with a toy and smacked Aurora upside the head as hard as he could..... the guardian did NOTHING about it. Everyone basically kept their kids away from that kid after that. I haven't seen them there again....

    I was too busy making sure Aurora was okay and trying to figure out who the kid even belonged to that I never was able to give her a piece of my mind either.

    I don't care if it is wrong, but now I sternly (verbally) reprimand the kids myself if I can't identify the parent. Can't control your kids? If they hurt mine, I will.

    ReplyDelete