Tuesday, 28 February 2012

In loving memory

As a mom still in the early years and coping with sleep deprivation, diaper changes and tantrums, I don't find much free time to sit and reflect on the extreme responsibility resting on my shoulders as a parent.  Sure, I make sure my children are fed, warm and safe.  But, if I have a quiet moment to think about what I'm actually doing, I realize how very profound it is to provide a mother's care.  Since I am a stay-at-home mom, everything I say and do is observed by my boys.  I am shaping the lives of two little humans and the impact I have on them at this stage is very great.  These sobering thoughts remind me of how I was cared for and loved by my mother.
me and my mom, 1983


A wonderful, gentle and sweet woman guided me at every step through my childhood, teen years and early adulthood.  My mother was just the kind of mom everybody would want to have and I am lucky she was mine.  She selflessly cared for me and my sisters, encouraged us, cuddled us, made cookies, chaperoned field trips, was a good listener and a best friend when you felt all alone.

When Aiden arrived on the scene, my mom found great joy in being a grandma.  She loved to spoil him with clothes or a special toy.  When we came for a visit, she enjoyed taking Aiden to the park and pushing him on the swings or helping him on the slide.
GaGa & Aiden, 2009, 2010, 2011
GaGa & Noah, 2012
And when my second little boy, Noah, was born, she was prouder still to be their 'Ga Ga'.  I believe she fought her cancer all the more to meet and hold her second grandson.  She has loved my boys and though young, I know they love her too.  I know she will watch them grow up and continue to smile down on them.

My mother shaped my life and I will miss her greatly.  It is my hope and prayer that I will be a loving and strong example to my children as she was to me.

I love you, Mom.


1 comment:

  1. How sweet, Bek. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you are a wonderful example to your boys. Your mom is inside you in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete