I seem to write a lot about swim lessons, but interesting things do happen on Wednesdays at Parkside Pools. In the past two weeks, Aiden has really become an excellent walker and I would say he crawls very minimally now. With this new skill, he is adamant not to be held or carried (except, of course, when he's upset). It's a wrestling match just to keep him in my arms at times. Today at the pool was not any different. We were a few minutes early to the poolside and had to wait to get in the water. Aiden was eager to toddle around on his own, which is not safe next to a swimming pool. But, he doesn't know that and doesn't care!
Finally, we could get in and he was so happy splashing around. However, that desire to get down and walk around on his own carried over into our swim lesson. This made it VERY difficult to practice our manoeuvres in the water, as Aiden was constantly trying to get out of my arms and swim on his own. I looked around at the other parents with babies the same age as Aiden and their babies were happily sitting in their parent's embrace. The instructor saw me struggling to hold my wriggling child and said, 'It's ok. Let him go - he needs to understand what happens if he does not hold on to you.' So, with difficulty, I let him go and picked him back up just as his head went under. Well, Aiden was not happy with this at all! This happened twice more during the lesson and by that point, I had a very upset little boy. I'm hoping he will remember this lesson next week and cooperate, otherwise swimming lessons will just be too stressful. At least he still enjoyed his bath tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment