Monday, 6 September 2010

Our Little Angel's First Tantrum

Yeah, can't say I didn't think, oh Aiden is such a happy child, just can't imagine him screaming and going on a rampage. But it did happen today in a gallery of Her Majesty's fine art at Windsor Castle. Would it not have been for the long car ride, going astray with a misguided sat nav, driving through central London at noon, delaying Aiden's lunch time by an hour, absence of a good place to run around, delaying Aiden's nap time by two hours, having to check the pushchair to view the state rooms, forgetting the baby carrier/sling in the car... would we have still ended up with a fed up, frustrated, over-tired, wriggly toddler with pent-up energy? I don't know, but it all culminated in an out-of-control crying fit that lasted somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes.

We ducked out of the gallery, picked up the pushchair, went back outside and sat on a bench, while everyone who passed by watched us try to calm our screaming, kicking kid to no avail. Don wondered if Aiden felt ill, but I thought it came on much too quickly for that. Lullabies, dummy, Puppy - nothing soothed. Aiden was just completely pushed over the edge and could not calm down. He didn't want to be held, didn't want to be put down and couldn't be distracted. We were helpless and simply had to hold him and wait for the fit to end. Rather suddenly, the crying stopped and he was asleep, out cold and completely exhausted. Relieved, we were then able to proceed through the state rooms while he slept in our arms. I am hoping this won't be an everyday sort of scene, but only time will tell.

On a completely different and happy note, we also experienced a very good 'first' recently. The very first verbal communication we've had with Aiden happened as I asked him (as I often do), 'Where are the stars?' He usually just looks and points upward, but this time he incorporated his new word 'up' into the answer! I was sooooo proud and excited that he answered my question with a word. I can't wait for more occasions like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment